Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Have Mercy - Jumpers for Battery Hens??

Rescued Battery Hens in the UK (not my photo)
 There has been much in the news during the past couple of years concerning the life of hens in the "Battery Farms".  Battery farms, if you are new to the term, are the commercial farms that house the hens producing the gazillions of eggs purchased in grocery stores by consumers like you and me. The horrible housing for hens have been reported on, and much info can be obtained by searching the internet using various key words, so I won't Grand-Stand on proper humane care for poultry here and now.  My readers already know how strongly I feel when it comes to the care of all animals, and my "girls" are no exception!
Battery Hen (photo from Little Hen Rescue)
Many rescue organizations in the USA and abroad have helped remove battery hens from deplorable conditions; the rescued birds are given proper feed and better housing, but some have had feathers plucked by their cell occupants, and are bloodied and bare because of this, or are naked because of "forced molting".  The Rescues have put out an SOS to their members and anyone else who might care to help.  Items needed?  Chicken Jumpers!

Have MERCY!  Can you knit?  More jumpers are needed!  Please click on Little Hen Rescue to read more.  Here's a pattern if you care to help:
Pattern for Knitted Hen Jacket

Materials

Double knitting yarn (100g makes approximately 3 jumpers)
2 buttons or 10cm Velcro
1 pair of number 8 (4mm) knitting needles
4mm crochet hook

Knitted in stocking stitch with garter stitch borders

Cast on 41 sts,
Work 4 rows K
Increase for tabs;
Cast on 10 sts at beginning of next row, k14, p to last 4 sts, k4.
Cast on 10 sts at beginning of next row, k14, p to last 14sts, k14.
Work buttonholes; (work these 2 rows straight if using Velcro).
(K2, yf k2tog) 3 times, work to end keeping edges in garter st.
Repeat this row for buttonholes on the other tab.
Cast off 10 sts at beginning of next row.
Next row – cast off 10 sts, k4, p2 tog, p to last 6 sts, p2tog, k4.
Dec 1 st at each end on every fol 6th row until 25 sts remain.

Divide for neck;
Work 11 sts, cast off 3, work to end – complete this half first.
1)     k4, p to end
2)     cast off 2, k to end
3)     k4, p to end
4)     k2tog, k to end
5)     k4, p2tog, p to end
Work 4 rows straight
  10) K to last 5 sts, inc in next st, k4.
  11) K4, p to last st, inc in next st.
  12) Cast on 2 sts, k to end, (11sts)
  13) K4, p to end
  14) K
Break yarn and rejoin to the other side of neck. 
Work to match, reversing shaping’s and ending at winghole edge.
Next row – k, cast on 3, k across sts from other side of neck.
Next row , k4 inc in next st, p to last 5 sts, inc in next st, k4.
Inc 1 st at each end of every fol 6th row until there are 41 sts on the needle.
Work 6 rows straight.
Change to gst and knit 4 rows.
Cast off.

Sew on buttons or Velcro as desired.
Work double crochet around neck. 

I don't knit, but I'd sure love to have one of those jumpers for Miss Lizzy!  Isn't the striped one in the above photo just the "Chick's Pajamas"?!?  I adore that bow - what a stylish addition!
Have a great day!
the ChickenWrangler

9 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - that is the cutest picture I have ever seen. Wish I knitted I would knit you one - they are adorable! Sandie♥

Angela said...

Oh, I wish I could knit! I would make one for each of your hens to keep them warm from all of that snow and cold weather you have in Michigan!

I'm glad they put some clothes on those poor girls. I don't think I could bare looking at them without the clothes. That is just so sad. You know I'm not going to be able to eat eggs for awhile after seeing that! Good think I had Brinner last night because it wouldn't happen tonight.

I'm going to link you to TS&T! Hope you don't mind!

Tuesdays' Show & Tail!
Angela

nanniepannie said...

I'm not a knitter as well, but I'll pass this on to my sister. I don't hold much luck though, she won't even make a sweater for our little dog Daisy.

Love Of Quilts said...

Cute picture. Trish

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Those poor chickens! I can't believe that would/could happen! Their outfits are too cute though...especially the one wearing stripes!...:)JP

^..^Corgidogmama said...

The jumpers are darling, but those poor bare chicken parts are rather gruesome! I tried to learn how to knit, but it made me swear a lot.

Cherrie said...

Those are cute, I wish I could knit!

Anonymous said...

"Great time a day" I sure didn't know this, but these jumpers are a great idea,tooo cute.Wish I could knit, I whip one out for Miss Lizzy, for sure.

~Jo
LazyonLoblolly

Debbie said...

Oh, what a sad story...thank goodness there are people to help. Those jumpers are the cutest ever!
Debbie@lakehouse