Thursday, June 21, 2012

For Love of Anything CHICKEN!

By now most of my family is well aware I am hooked on Chickens - just love 'em!  Collecting AnYtHiNg ChIcKeN is something that comes along with my addiction.  Just gonna share with you my most recent acquisition.  Hubby's remark was "Oh yes.  We sure DID need THAT ONE!"  Just take a look.....
I do not know precisely WHAT it is or where it came from, but who could resist that liner-rimmed EYE!  Just LOOK at it!  My guess is that this is some sort of early Carnival Prize.  It was created in 2 halves, attached together, painted with some type of oil based paints, and the maker thought enough to press in marks to identify it for future owners. 
 It appears to be made of a combination of salt and other minerals (yep, TASTES salty!) and measures about 3 1/2 in. tall.  (Carnival prizes in the 1900's were made of "chalkware", which was a type of gypsum plaster and other ingredients, and most were quickly airbrushed and sent off to the Carnies.  They were cheaply made, generally 6-8 inches tall or better, but these prizes were given to girlfriends or proudly displayed by the winners to prove the Carnies could INDEED be outfoxed!)
I've been at a loss in my research on this little hen, but I just HAD to have it - one of the many mysteries in life that I may always wonder about - not unlike: 
Which came FIRST - the CHICKEN or the EGG??

Signed,
the ChickenWrangler

5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I have no idea Monica - but this chicken is awesome as well as the info on it. sandie

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What cool history! I saw a really unusual rooster at a thrift store this week. It was made out of real feathers and looked quite lifelike. The boys tried to talk me into buying it, but I said we have a real rooster, and that's all we need.

Granny Sue said...

That's an interesting find. And of course you had to have it! Your husband sounds like mine :)

Angela said...

Neat find! At first I thought it was a cement chicken for your yard.

Karen Whittal said...

You and my sister should get together..... she is also chicken crazy........ real chickens treats them like children not to mention my daughters chicken...... that sleeps inside.......